Trees. Paper. Leaves.
I am a papermaker and artist focusing on the natural world as my source of inspiration and materials.
My current work reimagines handmade paper and deconstructed books as sculptural elements. Oak leaves, birds, and other elements of nature are hand-cut from handmade papers and book pages. Paper blossoms, reminiscent of Chinese brush painting, are hand-formed and sewn. Each piece is created one-by-one, each unique. These elements are formed into sculptural works incorporating natural tree branches, recycled wood, beads, and other embellishments. Each piece asks viewers to examine their own relationships with paper, wood, and trees.
As a paper maker, I focus on using plants as bases for my papers and paper dyes. I use plants considered invasive or ubiquitous around my home. I then use my handmade papers in my art pieces. I also use handmade papers from other countries to complement my work.
I also create artist books with many of the same natural elements. The book as art allows many interests to be shared in one medium. The book allows for further exploration of what we expect from a book and how that expectation can be manipulated.
My background includes art and writing degrees. I live in Lodi, Wisconsin, in the rolling hills north of Madison. My husband, Dean Allen, is a sculpture. Together we own and operate D Squared Studios, a gallery and studio space where we create our own work and seek to share and encourage the work of other local artists.
I am happy to create commissions upon request. If you see a piece that interests you, please contact me.
I can be reached at danaslowiak [at] gmail.com or 608.695.1231.
SELECT EXHIBITION HISTORY
- Art on the Trail, La Lunita, Gibralter Rock Segment, May 4-31, 2018
- High Fiber II, as part of the Threaded Streams Fibers Arts Trail, D Squared Studios, March 2-31, 2018
- Arnold Grummer's Midwest Paper Fest
Town Square, Green Lake, WI. October 6-28, 2017
- Open Gallery at D Squared Studios, July-August 2017.
- High Fiber, as part of the Threaded Streams Fibers Arts Trail, D Squared Studios, March 3-31, 2017.
- artsTribe (Reunion): D Squared Studios, July 2016
- Dana Slowiak & Dean Allen: Recent Works,
(D Squared Studios Grand Opening) May 2016
- Anything Goes: An exhibition exploring what paper and books can be, Gelsy Verna Gallery, Art Lofts, April 10-16, 2015
AS A MEMBER OF artsTRIBE www.artstribe.net
- Cover to Cover, Overture Center for the Arts and Dane County Public Libraries, 2011-2012
- SEED: Celebrating Farming Through Art, Overture Center for the Arts, 2009
- Blue, Pyle Center, UW-Madison, 2008
- O Fortuna! Interpretations of Carmina Burana, Overture Center for the Arts, 2007
COMMUNITY-BASED ART PROJECTS
- Art on the Trail, La Lunita, Gibralter Rock Segment, May 4-31, 2018. www.artontheiceagetrail.org
- From China to Madison: Crossing Cultural Bridges, Overture Center for the Arts, 2008
- Reflections of the Northside, Overture Center for the Arts, 2008
- Turning Points Mosaic Mural, Lussier Community Education Center, Lead Artist, 2007-2009
- Kids’ Garden Mosaic Fence, Troy Gardens, Supporting Artist, 2006
- The Capital Times Art Project, State Street, Madison, 2007